target being used as an example for the EmbeddedAnalysisWorkshop2011.
This is an old Hebrew to German/English/French/etc electronic translator. As I doubt there is JTAG the interesting objective would be looking for serial and dumping/modifying the memory and software. The memory and other chips appear to either be rebranded or made in house. Re-documentation might be required (and interesting). Determining the purpose of the unused expansion port might also be interesting.
daughter board bottom:
- Daewoo DMC60C31E CPU (datasheet). Datasheet provides footprint but no programming details. Might need to look at other Daewoo chipsets.
- GoldStar GM76C88AL-15 65,536 Bit Memory (datasheet with footprint and read/write details)
- TextOn 9636 "5 Dictionaries"
- TextOn SEP 96 DEH 42
- 34 pin unpopulated expansion? One could assume this is for programming dictionaries but the area of the case for the pins leaves a huge space to place additional components.
Interesting markings and observations
- Map and trace to determine pinout of TextOn ICs as well as expansion board
- Examine the daughter board IC's and purpose